Powers to Arrest & Weapons of Mass Destruction
Before July 1, 2023, the first 8 hours (Powers to Arrest & Weapons of Mass Destruction) are available online.
After July 1, 2023, the first 8 hours (Powers to Arrest & Use of Force) must be completed in person at an authorized training facility.
The Powers to Arrest course is the first half of first 8 hours of the mandatory California Bureau of Security and Investigative Services training required to obain a Guard Card. It is an essential training program designed to equip security guards with the foundational knowledge and skills necessary to exercise their authority effectively while understanding its limitations. This comprehensive course comprises eight modules that cover various aspects of the power to arrest and its implications within the security guard profession.
This course will include the following modules:
- Role/Responsibility of Security
- Authority to Question
- Criminal & Civil Liability
- Factors to Consider Before Making an Arrest
- Making an Arrest
- Terrorism Awareness
- Report Writing
- PTA Exam
- Introduction to Weapons of Mass Destruction & Terrorism
- The Role of a Security Officer in Preventing WMDs
- Terrorism Planning Cycle
- Suspicious Activities Identification and Pre-Incident Indicators related to Terrorism
- Nature of Terrorism
- Weapons of Mass Destruction Types
- Coordinating and Sharing of Critical Information
- Weapons of Mass Destruction Incident Management and Response
By the completion of the Power to Arrest course, security guards will have developed a solid foundation of knowledge and skills necessary to exercise their authority within the boundaries of the law and act as responsible professionals in their role.